I have started a full restoration on this band saw a few weeks ago. I am getting great help from the guys/gals at OWWM forum. Figured I would provide a condensed version here as well. Restoring old machines is a new found passion for me and it helps with woodworking as well :).
Here are some pictures of the saw right after I picked it up. It dates back to 30s-early 40s. It was owned by a 101 year old “tinkerer” and his son was selling it as he was not using it at all.
Notice all the neat little things the previous owner built, the light, the on/off switch, the table and fence, and very very functional mobile base. I have removed all these even though it makes me sort of sad.
As I was disassembling it check out what the the PO did!! He used a little extension under the tensioner housing so 80” blades can be used on the saw. It originally requires a 78” which is a custom length.
So I have taken everything apart. Cleaned them with simple green and stripped the paint all the way to bare metal using Citristrip. Probably the biggest challenge was removing the old bearings and replacing them with new sealed ones. The upper wheel bearings are an odd size that are no longer available. I had to get the shaft knurled for it to accept slightly larger diameter ones. Here are some more pictures.
And what is a project without a little mishap. Cracked the tensioned housing…ouch!! Luckily I was able to find a replacement.
Of course my son was supervising every step of the way except when chemicals and fumes were around (which is most of the time in this project :))
I have started some cosmetic repairs, electrolysis and priming and painting but will save those for another day another entry.
Thanks for looking.