After all the dust settled with the screws, I was able to set the jointer knives and all seems to be working great. Ironically the first pieces I jointed are for a mobile base for the jointer which I will describe in a different blog.
Before it went back on the stand, I built a new wooden platform for it and tossed the old one out. I also glued pieces of rubber (the rubber is for making custom gaskets that I had on hand) figuring it would reduce vibration. i am not sure if it helps but it cannot hurt. here is a picture.
While setting the knives, I found (on the web) a lot of different ways to do it with dial gauges and magnets. I used magnets and it seemed to work fairly well. Actually first I set both tables the same height using a dial gauge. Thanks to Howie(another LJ), he let me borrow a dial gauge base that also has a large strong magnet for a base(its from HF). Then I simply placed the magnet across the tables and tighten the set screws at TDC for all 3 knives. The final check was a visual check which involved looking straight across from the infeed table at the same level as the table and you can see the height of the knives real well. Actually I put a paper behind it for contrast and by turning the cutter head you can watch both ends of the knife disappear as it goes below the table. Here is a picture that may clarify it all.
Finally built two push blocks to keep my fingers away from the sharp blades. Here it is ready for action.
Thanks again for all of you who helped me with your comments on the blog as well as PMs (especially Howie and Lee) ..the moral of the story is do not strip your set screws, otherwise its a walk in the park :)