It’s been a cold and snowy month of January here in Berkshire Mountains of Western Mass. We have shattered the monthly snow fall total and to date have had over 60” and with no meltdown as of yet, still have over 3” on the ground. SOOO!! Seeing I can’t get much done outside except PLOW SNOW!
Luckily the only way I can find the dog is she’s a black lab.
I decided to work on my Log Bed project. 1st order was to rasp down the knots and finish cleaning up the marks from draw knife from removing the bark. I used a Japanese Shinto Rasp to remove the knots and branch ends. This rasp has a reversible fine and course blade and makes quick work of it. Next I smoothed out the rasp marks with a whittling knife used as a scraper and also scraped all the high spots off this way.
Now, this is where I went beyond the normal Log Bed and scribed all pieces to fit instead of the usual method of Holes & Tenon’s. I will admit, it’s a slow and tedious process made even more difficult by the fact that I’m working with a very rough and uneven material. I do have experience scribing logs having built an Alaskan style log cabin. On this project I wanted a perfect fit with no visible gabs unlike a Log Cabin where you just fill the gap with a sealing caulk. 1st step is to drill the dowel holes, join the rail and posts together and scribe. Next I used a jig saw to rough-out the scribed profile and finished with a rotary rasp mounted in a ½” drill (needed the power)
This takes some time, scribe, rasp, sand, test fit, scribe again, rasp and so on till I got the fit I liked. Repeating every rail and slat till it all dry fitted together. Each night I sealed the ends of all pieces with a clear log seal to help prevent cracking and so far it has been good, only some slight checking on the posts which I then filled with clear silicone caulk.
I’ve gotten the Foot Board glued-up so far and have brought inside to a cool room to finish drying. Logs were only cut-down in November.
Today I got the head Board rails and posts dry fitted together.