As part of the revamp of the closet in our loft that collapsed a few moths ago, I built this jig to ensure all the holes for the shelf pins would line up and I (hopefully) won’t have any wobbly shelves. It was inspired by a jig sold by one of the well-known woodworking retailers. I couldn’t see buying one when I had all the necessary stuff sitting around (short of a special bit). In hind sight, the time spent might justify the cost. What can I say? I like building jigs.
All the holes were drilled on my drill press with a combination of a back fence to keep the holes aligned on ‘Y’ axis and on the ‘X’ axis, I took my chances and eyeballed the alignment with a brad point bit. I lined it up on the intersection of the pencil lines carefully drawn with a square. It was painstaking but the brad point made it easier and probably took less time to cut spacers to use with a stop block (that’s a guess).
The larger holes are to accommodate the spring-loaded bit I purchased for the job. The two smaller holes at either end are 1/4” holes and are used to index the jig for correct spacing after you reach the capacity of the jig. I simply placed a 1/4” bit in the hole to hold position.
What the jig looks like before it is applied to the work piece. The rail in my hand will be placed flush with the facing edge (front or back).
The disassembled jig showing the component parts (hardboard body, MDF rail, T-nuts and flat-head bolts)
Detail of the Jig
The jig applied to the workpiece
The results – nice, evenly spaced and aligned holes for the pins.
Thanks for taking a look. I’ll post some photos of the cabinet (very small) after the face frame is finished setting overnight. I’ll throw up the SketchUp drawing I’ve been working from too. It will make more sense with that pic.
-- Jeff, St. Paul, MN