Hullo, folks. I’ve been sneaking in a little more time on the bench and have an update. In the last entry I mentioned a snaffu with my chamfers. I got those all done in short order on the router table. I even took a chance on the leg I had already assembled. The fit with the lag bolt was of course a little looser when I reassembled the leg but nothing to get uptight about. This was pleasing.
I put the legs together and then drilled my holes for the lag bolts in the ends of the stretcher. This is where I ran into my next challenge. I brilliantly didn’t think before I drilled. I had “3/8 lag bolt” in my mind and promptly chucked up the 3/8 bit rather than the proper size for the 1/4” x 3” pilot holes I really needed… I drilled three of the four before making this discovery. Fortunately, since the stretcher is 5” I was able to relocate the holes. I still had the correctly spaced holes in the legs though (they could not be used because of the difference in spacing I had to use for the new holes). Since I only drilled 3 of the 4 in the stretcher, I wanted to use the original location for at least one of the holes thinking it might add something to the stability. In hindsight I should have just relocated all four and stuck with the pre-drilled holes in the legs. At least it would have been less unsightly. It is, however, a workbench and will definitely not be the last one I build so I can live with it. I just hope I don’t have any problems with the Fir splitting. A season will tell. If it does, the replacement cost will not be bad.
The upside is the back half of the bench top involving my salvaged conference room door went together quite well and is almost perfectly level. I’m choosing to believe the hair that it is off is due to the 50-year-old shop floor. I hope to get some time this week to assemble the pieces of the well and front rail. The particle board door was secured to its supports with Confirmat screws. These are specially developed for use with particle board. They have deeper and more closely spaced threads that reduce the occurrence of tearing apart the board or becoming loose. The Fir pieces were then joined to the leg assembly with deck screws as mentioned in the FWW article.
If you aren’t familiar with Confirmat screws, I’ll be taking more detailed shots of the well assembly for the next entry and will include some shots.
What’s most exciting is I think I picked the right height to comfortably use this bench with my had tools. Before I cleaned up for the day, I took a pretend passes with a #4 plane (with retracted blade). It felt pretty comfortable.
This was pleasing…
-- Jeff, St. Paul, MN