Well, we’re at the “Final Inspection” tomorrow. We’ve had two inspections since I last had a blog entry and of course, they found two more small things for the carpenters to do.
We did get final approval on the electrical. The city has given us a final on the plans. Now, we just need the final on the carpentry. The GC is very upset, however, I have resolved myself to endless inspections and endless interruptions, so I am no longer anxious about the matter. I guess I have partially given up. I did get my Unisaw into the shop (and out of the garage) and have done the maintenance. The top was a little rusted, but lemon juice and a final application of that ole standby naval jelly worked fine. A final application of Boeshield and I’m set to go. It looks fine in the shop. I intend to make an extension table soon, and also a sharpening station. But if we do actually pass the Final tomorrow, I will head off to the local BORG and get some insulation and an air conditioner so that I can get ready to cover the inside walls. I also want to make a walkway and storage bin floor for the attic. It will be wonderful to not have carpenters, etc. interrupting and to be able to get about making it a real woodshop.
My old Makita drill finally gave out, after 8 years of good service, and I was pleased to see the new DeWalt on my doorstep this evening. I’ve been working with an old corded drill for the past couple of weeks (the DeWalt was on backorder) and I’m so very tired of looking for that darn key. Drill keys are like pencils, they just have a way of disappearing. I solved both problems, I’ve gone “keyless” and I bought a whole box of pencils which I have scattered around.
Putting up the cyclone dust collector turned into quite an ordeal. There was not quite enough room in the corner rafters where I wanted to put it, so we had to move out one bay. That darn motor is one heavy dude, but it is up now, and the job looks professional.
Incase anyone is wondering, the drill press is still in the house. I actually may move it to the shop tomorrow. The room will not look quite the same without it !
I bought a Merlin Splitter for the Unisaw and am anxious to install it. I refuse to spend the big bucks it would cost for one of those overhead dust collectors for the blade area, so I want to see if I can come up with a home-made thingy which will work well and not look bad. We’ll see. That’s down the road a bit, as for now, I’ll put up with the blade dust for a while.
Well, that’s the news for now. I sure hope we pass the inspection tomorrow. The GC did all the little spackling and painting touch-up today, and removed the pile of garbage, so the place is looking much better. However, we still have the “temporary garage door” to remove.
-- Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get !