I haven’t updated the progress on the workshop because I didn’t want to share my pain, but as there is finally some small light at the end of the tunnel, I can finally tell what has been going on.
The inspection process has been the most frustrating aspect of the entire project. Each inspector arrives and finds one thing they don’t like and then leaves with instructions to fix it. So, the electrician comes all 26 miles from town and puts in GFI outlets for each circuit. Then two days later the inspector comes again and this time he decides some other little thing needs to be changed and the electrician has to come back out. This has happened with the carpenters also. Because the city does not have a code for the 8’ sliding door, we have had to have a garage door company come out and install a “temporary” steel door. Then the inspector comes out and O.K.’s that but decides that because the ceiling is not being finished by the contractor (gypsum installed), he now wants “perlins” placed above the rafters. These are just 2X4’s lined up the length of the building every four feet. So, the carpenter goes out and buys some more lumber and is scheduled to place the perlins today. Another inspector shot was that they wanted “hurricane” covers for both of the windows, so now I have ugly bolts sticking out from the trim and two pieces of 1/2” ply to cover the windows with. This is just a game for the inspectors to make $30.00 each time they come out, but it is costing the contractors a lot of money and time, and is extremely frustrating to me. The Gen’l. Contractor hopes that the inspections today will be the end of it. We finally got the electrical final inspection O.K.’ed and now only need the building inspector to sign off, which we are hoping for this afternoon. Then, the garage man has to come back out and remove the steel garage door, and the builders have to remove the ugly bolts for the “hurricane shutters”, fill them and repaint and it will be all over. Hopefully by tomorrow I will have the shop to myself. I do not fault the builders at all, as everyone who has looked at the work, or commented on the pics that I have posted, feels that the construction is exemplary. It is just an inspection thing. We could not get a final sign off on the plans with the building department last Thursday because the “computer is down” while they switch over to a new system. If there was a way to delay the final O.K. the city found it. Maybe this week I will finally have the temporary toilet that is at my driveway entrance removed. Once that darn thing is gone, I will know that it is finally over. I have managed to build a worktable and get some of the machinery in, but can’t do any wall insulation, wall covering, attic flooring, etc. until all inspections are done. I will celebrate big when it is all over, and all the interruptions are over with.
-- Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get !