LumberJocks

Making a home for my 45 plane #2: Ideas for a Box

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by CO_Goose posted 10-08-2017 01:33 AM 442 reads 1 time favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: The Beginning, a problem to solve. Part 2 of Making a home for my 45 plane series Part 3: Making the box »

So after putzing around on the computer for a while I settled on the Japanese style toolbox. There are many articles on them, but I settled on the style that Christopher Schwarz had a drawing for here: https://blog.lostartpress.com/2013/03/24/japanese-tool-chest-measured-drawings/
And then made a box here:
https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/326395

I also liked the box that Brad made here on Lumber Jocks http://lumberjocks.com/projects/196978
I wanted the plane to stand upright, and have places for all of the accessories so that they do not get lost, well, as long as they get put back into their places. He also scanned some of the box decals, so I borrowed them for my box as well, Thanks Brad!

First off I needed a nicer cover for the plane irons, so I built one out of scrap wood and 1/8” plywood. I also scanned in the label and used Photoshop to clean it up, and print it back out on label paper to stick on the new box for the irons.

Now that the irons were safe, the rest of the plane needed a home. The toolbox style sits on the bottom board, and the lid fits into the top of the box. so the interior dimensions will be 3/4” less than the height of the sides. The height of the sides is 7.5”, the interior width is 7.5”, the interior length is 14”. The outside dimensions are two inches longer and wider to account for the 1” long finger joints, and 1 1/2” taller due to the base and cleats that hold the lid in place.

Since I did not have a 7.5” wide board, I needed to stretch the 1×6 pine board that I had a little wider, so out came the toungue

and the groove,

To fit like this

And get clamped up to let the glue dry.

And a little clean up with the trusty old #6

The T&G closeup:

I found that the setup for the T&G was easier than I expected. The depth settings were set using a harbor freight depth gauge, nothing accurate, they just had to match each other. And the centering on the boards was fairly easy as well. A couple of swipes on a test board, and then the fine adjustment on the skate tuned it right in so that there was almost no mis-alignment between the boards, nothing that the #6 didn’t clean up in a couple of passes. This was way easier than the T&G that I had done on the table saw, I’m sold on the 45’s for this function.

Next up, making the box

-- Just making sawdust



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com