There are many parts of this project I do not want to discuss, mostly because they all involve mistakes. With this project I unfortunately made many stupid errors regarding dimensions and process of operations, but in ways that are rudimentary to woodworking. I tried to recover and hide these though thinking about the saying that being a good woodworker is not about making no mistakes, its about how well you can fix the mistakes you make.
One of these mistakes came from a lack of room in the depth of the carcass. This led to my drawer carcasses being cut down in length, and the important extra length on the drawer to be removed, preventing a stop from being placed on the drawers. While I made the drawer carcass I rushed the dovetails, rushed the glue clean up on the inside, and did not use the same wood as any of the visible components, knowing (thinking) that they would not be seen ever.
To remedy this as quickly as I could I decided to cut thin pieces of Avodire to fit in front of the carcass. I have them shown here and they are taped off in a way where I don’t put finish on glue surface and I still ensure all visible areas will have finish on them.
The reason the outside is so oddly shaped on one and the glue surface is so small is because I had to rout a recess in the panel for the drawer carcass as deep as I could to ensure enough clearance for the drawers, but I had carvings in the front I was getting very close to blowing through if I went further in a given direction. I know I’ve probably lost you so here are some of the unfortunately few pictures I took.
to be honest this is not at all my proudest work but we all know it happens, especially when you have only a few days to finish your project. I ended up glueing the false front of my drawer carcass ( the first picture ) to the drawer carcass itself as well as the panel. And yes I ended up cutting off the tail on the back of my drawer carcass. None of this will ever be seen though, except for in this blog….
Its impossible to tell but the panel is just under 2” thick at its center most point and I think about 1 at its edge, with an inch recess routed into the back for the drawer carcasses to fit in. In the glue up shown above I had to clap all these pieces in a way where I could get the drawer in and out to make sure the alignment is right.
This is what that detail looks like at this point. Unfortunately on the side photographed I had not thought to pre-finish the edge perpendicular to the false carcass front, causing some problems down the road in the finishing process. Also you can see in this image that only the carvings directly to the left of the drawer were sanded so far.
I am still leaving out the drawers themselves and how they were made, but I will do that in one of my next posts.
Thank you for reading, more to come!
-- Byron Conn, Woodworking/Furniture Design at Rochester Institute of Technology, http://byronconn.com