It has been a long time since my last entry and although I am embarrassed that I haven’t gotten more done, it is not for lack of effort. It is amazing to me how long it takes me to get almost any little thing done on this project and equally amazing to me how many small tasks crop up that I had not anticipated. But, alas, it keeps my spare time accounted for!
The image below is of the project room I have been working on. I am still new at posting blog entries so the first entry I made was on this topic, but not part of this series. Perhaps I’ll go back and try to add that to the series. Anyway, background on the project can be found in that post.
I’ve assembled and hung the carcasses after painting the interiors of them. Although not installed yet, all the lower carcasses are almost ready for final glue up and installation. I am planning to wait to install them after I apply the face frames to the upper cabinets.
What I need to figure out is what material will be used for the face frames. I was originally planning to use birch but am now considering if I should opt for Ultralight MDF since I am going to be painting it anyway. Not sure yet. I am also trying to figure out how to fasten the face frame to the carcasses: nails and glue vs. pocket holes vs. biscuits. I am currently planning to rough size each member of the face frame then to prep, prime and paint them before final assembly. I will trim and install each member, working from one side toward the other. Also, the plan is to install the “stiles” of the frames first
Below is a rendering of the final room for reference. I’ve got a ways to go…
I welcome suggestions regarding how to approach the face framing portion of the effort, so chime in if you like!