I’ve been (very) slowly plugging away at my workbench here and there. I think I finally have made enough progress for another post.
I noticed that the 2×6 that I had for my last leg was pretty twisted and knotty. I glued it up to see if I could just plane out the twist, but it proved to be a royal pain in the butt, and I figured it would only complicated matters down the line, so I went to the store and picked through the pile until I found a nice straight one. This one glued up and squared up nicely. I also picked up an extra 2×6 because it was not only straight, but had a really nice grain and pink color to it. Like nothing I’ve seen in structural 2×6s before. The lighting in my basement is poor so the picture doesn’t really do it justice. I may use this for the front stretcher.
I finally have four legs! Now I can ponder the joinery. I set up the components to get an idea of what the bench will look like while I ponder…
My pondering and going over the plans revealed to me that I forgot to include the shoulder for the inside tenon. I asked folks here if they thought it mattered and I got a nice education on mortise and tenon joinery. Apparently the shoulder in-between the tenons should be enough. So I proceeded to mark out, cut, and clean up the dovetail tenon for each leg. They came out pretty good.
Finally I measured up pieces to start the top laminations which will contain the mortises.
I’m really having a blast with this and I’m learning a ton (especially from my mistakes, of which there are plenty!)
Hopefully by my next post I will have the leg-to-top joinery completed. Stay tuned.
-- Marc -- Worcester, MA