Realized I needed to do something to limit the travel of the lid. After perusing the aisles of the big box stores I decided to stay with my initial intent to avoid using anything but joinery and glue. After some thought I opted for a stop integrated in the hinge. Started chiseling
I didn’t have a narrow enough chisel but I did have a piece of tool steel that I formed an edge on so I could scrape out the waste in the slot to fit the walnut stop.
After gluing the stop in the lower hinge part the hinges were doweled and glued in place.
After several coats of amber shellac wiped on, just need to rub in several more coats of wax and install the hinge pins.
-- Dan, TN