LumberJocks

Working title - LLB

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by BritBoxmaker updated 12-20-2014 12:40 PM 8 parts 13955 reads 47 comments total

Part 1: Well lookie here

11-30-2014 05:24 PM by BritBoxmaker | 8 comments »

I’m starting another box. Possible the most complex construction I’ve attempted to date. It may work, it may not. You never get anywhere new without risk. Well heres the wood for it, most if not all. The dark stuff was labelled ‘Mondo’. I don’t know what that is but it looks like a rosewood. The red is Padauk. As for a plan the initial concept is this It may change, to a lesser or greater extent, dependant on limitations of materials, skill and whet...

Read this entry »


Part 2: So the story begins

12-02-2014 01:53 PM by BritBoxmaker | 5 comments »

The box walls and lid are going to have two layers The outside, Mondo (I still don’t know if thats a proper name) and the inside, Padauk. The layers are 3 mm thick. The legs and lid decoration will pass through the outer layer and only partially through the inner (in the case of the legs only). First thing to do is sand down the outside of the outer layer and inside of the inner layer to 400 grit and give them a coat of acrylic varnish. Whilst I don’t expect this ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: She's got legs.....

12-06-2014 05:56 PM by BritBoxmaker | 6 comments »

....and she knows how to use them. But first to make up the top. Those three pieces at the top of the pic will be used to make it. First I printed out a full sized plan from my CAD drawing. and cut out 1/3rd to make a template for two of the pieces. Drew out the pieces on the wood using the template cut out the middle triangle and marked up the third Cut all three out on the band saw and placed them together Did a bit of trimming up and glued t...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Old red eyes is back.

12-08-2014 07:43 PM by BritBoxmaker | 3 comments »

Short blog today. Not much shop time. Cut the 60 degree angles on the sides of the box inner. and fitted them into the outer shell. Still nothing glued at this stage as a lot of work to be done on the inner (Padauk) liner before I can even attempt this. First I need to mark the inside to register the position on the inner where the legs will pass through the outer Remove the masking tape from one leg side and remove the Sycamore spacer. Its then a simple matt...

Read this entry »


Part 5: A momentary lapse of reason

12-13-2014 01:40 PM by BritBoxmaker | 5 comments »

Happened during this, more later First thing to do is make up some legs. Padauk, 9 mm square. Machined to shape on the router table The leg proper (part that is visible for its whole length) is 3 mm wide and 7 mm deep. The flange on the back is 9 mm wide x 2 mm deep. A quick try in the box sides Now the flange only goes about halfway up the box sides, I don’t want it appearing at the top and ruining the lines.This means I need to route slots to tak...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Rationalise

12-13-2014 06:34 PM by BritBoxmaker | 7 comments »

This thing is getting covered in more and more layers of masking tape. It won’t do. So I’ve decided to take it apart, gradually in order to glue the inner/outer skins and the legs together. Again a gradual process, using viscous Cyanoacrylate. Until all sides were complete I minimally taped these together and took apart the top, perching the pieces on the whole. and I’ve decided to try repairing the central piece of the lid ...

Read this entry »


Part 7: So much to do ...

12-14-2014 06:43 PM by BritBoxmaker | 5 comments »

... so little time. Why do weekdays crawl by and weekends go before you know it. Well Somethingbrownwood is not going to do for the bottom of this box. A phrase I’m sure Shipwright is well aware of I don’t want to ‘spoil the ship for a ha’peth of tar’. I have a little Mondo left. This I re-sawed into four 2 mm slices. On the table saw, you don’t want to know. I made veneers of this piece( outside bottom of the box), a filler and some 1.5 mm...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Closing Time

12-20-2014 12:40 PM by BritBoxmaker | 8 comments »

Just a short blog as there’s not much left to do. I need to cut the slots to accept the bottom. The end stop is cunningly sized so that the sides with legs don’t foul it. Slot 1.6 mm deep. Final tape up ready for gluing and glued up (PVA) with the top taped on (but obviously not glued) to maintain the box shape whilst drying. Next time you see it will be when I’ve taken the top edges down a bit with 600 grit (they are razor sharp at the moment...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com