LumberJocks

Any Colour You Like

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by BritBoxmaker updated 10-28-2012 08:03 PM 4 parts 6221 reads 66 comments total

Part 1: Design and experimentation

10-20-2012 05:43 PM by BritBoxmaker | 16 comments »

I like Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon. This is amongst my favourites to play in the shop and out. The cover, for those of you who don’t know. is this...This has inspired me to get my design head on. So here’s a picture of the box I’ve been designing, over the last week or so...Designed using TurboCAD (no, NOT Sketchup), Size, approx’ 120mm corner to corner and 70mm high. A tall order. Is there any other kind. Its mostly black. I know of a black wood or two...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Breathe

10-21-2012 05:34 PM by BritBoxmaker | 20 comments »

The board came out of glue-up OK...First thing to do, trim the excess off the bottom edge...Now the vertical rounded pillars. They were going to be Ebony but such was the dye success with the black that I decided to opt for dyed Sycamore. This is English Sycamore, which is a creamy white, not it’s American cousin...I cut the above wide enough to do both sides of a box corner and rounded both edges. Then dyed them up...The sun came out. For a moment I thought I wasn’t in England an...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Us and Them

10-27-2012 02:20 PM by BritBoxmaker | 15 comments »

How to make and fit the top. Initial thoughts were to go back to the CAD model and produce a template that way. This is fine in that it is roughly the right size and shows all the pieces in their places. Slight problem though. This is an ideal picture. If I were making the top and sides and putting them together in one go it would be perfect to use. However I have already made and glued up the sides. With the best will in the world the resulting hexagon of sides is not going to precise...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Brain Damage

10-28-2012 08:03 PM by BritBoxmaker | 15 comments »

The board from yesterday’s glue up was a success To trim this to size I cut the inner hexagon out of the paper plan. I cut through the alignment marks at the edge, flipped it and lined it up over the pattern. Using the same scalpel blade marking trick to define the outline. I then joined up the marks with scalpel and ruler. Finally cutting all the way through ( its only two layers of veneer and a core of MDF, after all). This sat nicely on the top of the side...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase