LumberJocks

Project SC

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by BritBoxmaker updated 08-14-2010 07:05 PM 5 parts 10320 reads 113 comments total

Part 1: Tightrope walking for beginners

08-08-2010 04:07 PM by BritBoxmaker | 21 comments »

In my last blog I showed a pattern which I am determined to try. It is made of rectangles from 1mm to 12mm in size. Due to a shortage of materials (Ebony) I am making the pattern from 1mm to 10mm. This is because my aim is to make a box using this pattern (or parts thereof) on all visible faces. This is the tallest order I have placed on myself to date. ImpossibleII now seems a fond memory. Machining wood down to 1mm square is a nightmare. A bit like I imagine tightrope walking to be a...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Got to get it together,now

08-09-2010 05:34 PM by BritBoxmaker | 18 comments »

All those sticks. Laid out like the DNA sequence of something. I set to work decoding and before long I almost had it just insert two more waste pieces for the cut seperation like so tape it all together, again,and re-arrange to make the net for a box. Which I turned over to see the pattern ‘in the raw’ Looking good, yeah. Now we see why I put a layer of masking tape between the ‘tens’ rows in the seperate 1/3rd of the pattern. It meant that...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Come together

08-11-2010 10:42 PM by BritBoxmaker | 20 comments »

Hello all, feeling better today. Did the glue-up on the patterns. This time using a trick Patron taught me using wooden strips nailed to a baseboard to hold the pieces there while the glue sets. No severe clamping pressure. Seems to have worked well. Patterns all cleaned up of masking tape they look like this I’d love to use the EZee mitre technique on this one but the squares in the corners would end up so small they wouldn’t hold on to the rest of the pattern. 1st ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Its like that and thats the way it is

08-12-2010 05:10 PM by BritBoxmaker | 31 comments »

So 1st fallback reached yesterday. I have to border the pattern. For the pattern glue-ups I used a traditional glue, PVA. This is good for this purpose but if I had mitred all edges (and the top) the tiny 1mm squares at each corner might not have held on at all. Worse still is the possibility that they would chip off over time. So bordered it is. Using 7mm strips of Purpleheart I set out the patterns to give me an overall idea of what it would look like. I then labelled everything s...

Read this entry »


Part 5: The long and winding road

08-14-2010 07:05 PM by BritBoxmaker | 23 comments »

Hello all. The first order of the day was to route the bottom pieces and the lipping slots in the inner sides OH! Problem. The lipping slots go right through the corner posts. I should have routed before I put these on. No matter there’s always the spare stock I always make. I cut the old posts off. Finish sanded and sealed the insides of all four sides and the top. As for the corner posts I made and glued new ones on. I made a bottom out of 3mm birch ply and glued ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase