LumberJocks

Mondrian (inspired)

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by BritBoxmaker updated 10-22-2011 03:29 PM 5 parts 27183 reads 54 comments total

Part 1: First attempt

03-28-2010 12:18 PM by BritBoxmaker | 9 comments »

I’ve always liked the early 20th century artist, Piet Mondrian’s Neo Plasticist style (example below) and would like to include this style of design in my box work. As you can see his compositions use a white (and sometimes gray) background; red, yellow and blue and a strong black divider. I use Sycamore (white), Ebony (black), Padauk (red), Pau Amarello (yellow) and the only problem one is blue. The closest naturally occuring is Purpleheart. I decided to take on an easy...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Neoplastic Experiments

10-12-2011 10:53 PM by BritBoxmaker | 9 comments »

Having a play with the Neoplastic style, as used by Piet Mondrian in the early 20th Century. Neoplastic A Perhaps the addition of Orange dilutes the impact so Neoplastic B These should be ideal for wall art. I’m going to have a play. With the following wood selections White – SycamoreYellow – Pau AmarelloOrange – YewRed – PadaukPurple – Purpleheart ( To the best of my knowledge there is no naturally occurring blue wood)Black – E...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Neoplastic 'C' progress

10-21-2011 04:25 PM by BritBoxmaker | 15 comments »

I’ve decided to make this one with wood from from my scrap bin and my ‘Ebony Bits Box’ - I won’t bore you with the details but after a lot of cutting and sticking, using Viscose CA, I had made the pattern (with a few little modifications). This was glued onto a backing of 1.5mm Birch Aeroply, using PVA, and thickness sanded to 5mm. Hand sanded down to 600 grit and a couple of coats of spray acrylic (satin finish) later this is the result. I have sto...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Neoplastic 'C' - Oh well

10-21-2011 09:42 PM by BritBoxmaker | 5 comments »

I had a funny feeling about this. I first made a mask to put over the board to measure it up for cutting into a net for the box. This started as a CAD drawn outline printed over two sheets of heavy (160 gm/m) A4 (nearest to ‘Ansi A’ I think). I overlaid this on the board. Taping it down (clear tape). Initially all looked well. As you can see it was not to be. Whilst 3 out of 4 corners worked from the point of view of patterns meeting on a box corner the one at to...

Read this entry »


Part 5: I get knocked down, but I get up again

10-22-2011 03:29 PM by BritBoxmaker | 16 comments »

You ain’t ever gonna keep me down. Lyric spotters please feel free to comment. I left you, last night, as I was hacking at the pattern board with a chisel. No, I’m not mad. I’ve done all the tests. It worked. I repaired the pattern. I re-placed the mask and all looks good. Re-taped the pattern I scored a knife line into the pattern,along the outside edge of the outer tape. In combination with a strip of Polycarbonate, which has a line scored on...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase