There have been a few days off whilst I’ve been ill with diarrhoea (British spelling). Well the world has stopped falling out of my bottom so some progress has been made.
This is the worst of the last images I left you with. However after a second coat of stripper on the stubborn parts and with some help from a hand wire brush and a wire wheel in my hand drill the results are none too shabby.
Just in case you are wondering I am really not worried about the name plate and that’s why I didn’t remove it.
The whole picture looks like this
I removed the sheared off bolt from the main casting jaw by driving a centre punch into it, slightly off centre. Then chased around it, in an anti-clockwise direction, tapping gently as I went until it had unscrewed sufficiently so that there was enough thread to grasp with pliers, unscrew and remove. No pictures as both my hands were occupied doing the job.After taping off all the surfaces that I didn’t want painting and applying a coat of Hammerite this is the result
Oops I forgot to tape up the moving jaw area
and I left the screw stop out of the picture
The first coat needs 4 hours to dry. After this I duly applied a second coat as some of the edges looked a bit thinly coated. After leaving all night the paint is dry if still a little soft. This is good. I removed the tape and cleaned off the over-paint with a scalpel blade. This is the result.
It all fits together pretty well
but, as I have mentioned, the paint finish is soft at this stage. I’m leaving it for a week, in pieces and in the place it’s going to finally be, to harden off before I start any proper assembly.
So that’s all for now.
Be seeing you.
-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com