... so little time. Why do weekdays crawl by and weekends go before you know it.
Well Somethingbrownwood is not going to do for the bottom of this box. A phrase I’m sure Shipwright is well aware of I don’t want to ‘spoil the ship for a ha’peth of tar’. I have a little Mondo left.
This I re-sawed into four 2 mm slices. On the table saw, you don’t want to know.
I made veneers of this piece( outside bottom of the box), a filler and some 1.5 mm Padauk (inside bottom of the box) and made a 3 ply piece of plywood from these. Using my hexagonal template to mark out a rough cut size for the bottom
Cut this to size on the band saw and put it to one side for now. I used the template to build the top as well. Gluing it to the 3 mm Padauk I’d previously prepared to line up and glue the first Mondo top piece, again using CA. It was then simple to line up the other two pieces using the Padauk strips I would later glue into the top as spacers.
Trimmed and sanded this down on the belt sander.
I trimmed the repair of the top piece
on the disc sander. I usually mark the bit not to be touched (this time with white pencil)
to avoid sanding into this.
Located it in the top again using the top Padauk pieces as guides
and glued it into place. I then sanded the compound angle on the inner ends of the padauk details and glued them into place (CA again). Returned to the belt sander and trimmed the outside edges. I got carried away then and finish sanded the mitre on the tops of the sides. No pictures. Then placed the top on the taped together sides
Gave it a bit of a spray with Acrylic, to show up anything that needs attention and adjusted as necessary. Flattened the top of the Padauk on the disc sander.Trimmed the legs to length and this is what we have so far
That really is enough for me, for one day.
Be seeing you.
-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com