....and she knows how to use them.
But first to make up the top.
Those three pieces at the top of the pic will be used to make it. First I printed out a full sized plan from my CAD drawing.
and cut out 1/3rd to make a template for two of the pieces.
Drew out the pieces on the wood using the template
cut out the middle triangle and marked up the third
Cut all three out on the band saw and placed them together
Did a bit of trimming up and glued these together with viscous CA. Cut the remaining 2/3rd out of the template drawing and used it to check the top. The pattern gaps don’t matter as a 3 mm angled slot will be cut through the joins. Won’t it fall apart you ask? Wait and see.
before cutting off the remaining waste. Here’s the top perched on the sides.
Sanded the mitre edge for the top
Table tilted to 45 degrees, mitre fence at 30 degrees. Here’s the result
Which perches neatly on the sides
In order to keep the sides and top fairly rigidly together I made a liner out of 6 mm MDF, piston fit to the sides/top.
Next the legs. They slant at 13 degrees from vertical and are on three sides only. To test the stability of the design I cut three pieces of scrap sycamore to the required size and double-sided taped them to sides 1, 3 and 5. First marking out where they should go. These strips represent the rear of each leg only and as far as I can see are all that is required to test stability.
and she’s got legs
I prodded and poked it sideways and it appears to be stable enough.
Next thing to do is cut the outer slots. I taped the top to the sides, inserted the liner. Glued some 3 mm balancing strips to the bottom of the liner on the ‘leg’ sides and drew the centre lines for the three 13 degree angled cuts.
First I set the blade height so top dead centre of the blade is at the tip of the central triangle.
I set my mitre fence for 77 degrees (13 degrees off vertical with respect to the box sides). and set the top centre line for the centre of the blade.
Squeeky bum time. Made the first cut through the top and sides.
If I just do this again with the next cut it will fall into two pieces. To stop this I prepaired a length of 3 mm square Sycamore.
Which I taped into the gap
I cut the other two sides. On the outside this all looks a right mess of masking tape but on the inside
You can see the desired result. What was not desired was the chip out of the central triangle. No matter I’ll make another. Might even make it Ebony. Anyways if you insert a piece of Padauk into the top you can see the angled slot is good.
That’s it for now. I’m knackered for today. More of this nonsense later.
Be seeing you
-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com