Firstly it occurred to me that although I needed a pattern to experiment that it didn’t need to be fancy. To this end I took a scrap of MDF and cut 2 mm slots in it using the table saw blade set low.
Applying the caulk using the gun and fine nozzle was like trying to pass an elephant. Slow and painful. So I decided to use a putty knife to apply it.
This stuff cures by losing water so I expected some shrinkage and because of that didn’t level it off completely.
After a day this was the result.
Shrinkage evident. So sanded back level this is what I had.
It is not hard but flexible even when cured. I spray coated some acrylic finish . This appeared to take well.
Left the piece until today (5 days total) with this result
and the end, sanded off flat
Some further shrinkage. Though I don’t think its an unattractive result. The filler is still elastic. May be a better long term bet given wood movement. We shall see. Thats all.
Be seeing you.
-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com