A short blog today as its bloody freezing in my workshop. The original state of play with the box was this.
with part of the hinge broken out. The next thing to do is clear out a space for the main body of the new hinge. The body of the new hinge is 13 mm wide 6 mm deep. I marked up the area around the old hinge to be removed.
Cross hatched in white. I am keeping the pin of the hinge in the same relative position, level with the top of the internal lipping on the bottom of the box.
I checked that the bottom of the box was parallel to the lipping top, it was, using it as the reference edge (toward the saw fence) I cut into the bottom half on the cut line.
Gradually working up to just under full depth and cutting the last 0.5mm with a knife.
With the box taped together on the other three sides with masking tape, along the cut line, I cut to the inside of the second line (total 13 mm waste removed) again with the box bottom to the fence. Doing it this way keeps the same reference edge and the slot left should be of uniform width throughout. Next I cut in 6 mm from the back on both top and bottom to remove any waste left at the box sides. this is the result.
The hinge rests in this snuggly
You can see the the hinge is over length. This is to allow for cleaning up flush to the box sides, later. In the next part I’ll be cutting the slots for the hinge spline and trimming those off for a tight fit but thats all for today.
Be seeing you.
-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com