The board from yesterday’s glue up was a success
To trim this to size I cut the inner hexagon out of the paper plan.
I cut through the alignment marks at the edge, flipped it and lined it up over the pattern.
Using the same scalpel blade marking trick to define the outline. I then joined up the marks with scalpel and ruler.
Finally cutting all the way through ( its only two layers of veneer and a core of MDF, after all). This sat nicely on the top of the sides.
I set up the belt sander, 45° for the table, 60° for the fence, to mitre the top
and glued it in
Next I made up the six diamond patterns for the pillar tops mitring in a similar way
and laid one, in place, on the top
It sat a bit high.
After scratching my head for a few minutes I realised that it was the thickness of the veneer on the top too high. I’d forgot to allow for that. No matter. I just needed to sand off the bottom 0.5mm of each. I made a quick holder for these
from a sheet of 1.5mm ply and passed them all through the drum sander. I then blacked one up
and tried it in place
That looked alright so I did the other five
Next I needed to take out the tips to accommodate the central ‘moon’. I made up a jig so
Boring out the centre with a 32 mm Forstner bit. The diamond fitted in thus
and I just sent the bit down again to cut out the correct radius curve from the tip. All six placed on the top
I made up a circle from 6 mm Sycamore, rounding the top on the router and laid it in
Thats all I’m showing for now. Its a shell box so not top cut and I still need to make a base for it.
Be seeing you
-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com