This is the interesting bit. First the top, the easier part?!
I cut the centre sections out of the four Padauk strips. Book matched them, mitred them and glued up the above square. Yes I know theres a hole in it. I forgot to take the picture before I started the ‘boring’ bit.
Here’s the padauk top square with a pattern on it for centres of holes which are at the innermost part of the top slots. I could have done it by hand but as the plan was already in CAD I just printed off the relevant layer and glued it on (Pritt stick, stuff they let kids use to stick paper together with).
Centre punched the centre of the crosses and bored each kole out to 6mm, using a Forstner bit in the drill press.
Why do it this way?. Well the next item should make that more apparent. My jig for holding the top whilst I routed out the slots.
and bottom. The dowels are 6mm, 56mm apart, and are used to hold the top so
Next to the router table to route out the first two slots
Routed from the outside to the inner hole on both sides. Held very firmly and advanced very slowly so as not to let the 6mm router bit snatch the piece. The first two slots done you just rotate the top around to the next two, route them and continue until all twelve are done. The jig grips against the inner of the pre-drilled holes for all of them. When finished you have this
The top then drops over the centre of the board to show this
Trial line ups of the side pieces showed I was on the right track
Now the ‘clever’ bit. The top is a very delicate flower and even glued to the base board I could forsee bits flaking off under EZ Mitring. So I pre-mitred the ends of the sides and the top on the belt sander. Table set to 45°.
Using a board under the top piece to stop anything flying off it. When placed together , upside down here, you get this
With all side pieces arranged aound the outside
The side pieces were then cut in half longitudinally and the sloped edges routed along them using a 60° router bit.
The top and side parts were glued onto the base board to give this
A couple of coats of spray acrylic
and corner pieces added in to steady the EZ Mitre routing
Sides trimmed off to length
Then mitred and glued up
There were furry ends to the coloured veneers, these cleaned up well with a scalpel to give a nice clean edge though. The pedestal base is as described in the Shell box blog so I won’t go into that here. Thats it basically..
The finished box is posted here.
Be seeing you.
-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com