Its supposed to be a threat, I was never any good at those.- Slartibartfast
Well I am. This method is not working.
The small (1mm square x 6mm long) piece that retains the hinge pin falls out. Remember I have used CA (superglue) on these.
On the ‘grain following’ rear/top hinge 1mm is too thin to hold. I could re-enforce with a 0.5mm piece, cross grained to this but problem 1. still remains.
This means the end of this attempt at 3mm thick wooden hinges…....................
..............and the start of another!
I now realise I should have stuck with the clam-shell method I blogged for ‘56’. At this scale the structure of wood cells in the timber may have more reliable adhesion than CA on a surface where cells of timber may be opposite holes between them on the surfaces you are trying to glue. CA is not a good gap filler, in my experience.
I’ve had some good input from fellow LJ’s, particularly ‘scrollgirl’ (Sheila). Why not use a scrollsaw to cut the fingers? Good point. I started experimenting, pulling out the scroll saw, kicking and screaming, from it’s lair, in the cupboard under the planer. Bolted it down to the bench (yes the ‘work’ bench, the one with holes in to attach tools to).
Using one of the spare 1mm pieces for the last attempt I re-assessed my scrolling skill by trying to see if I could produce repeatable cuts. (Scale in mm)
fine by me. I marked out some fingers and cut them
Pretty good, I think. Thats it then. The project re-commences. It will pretty much follow the lines of the Clam-Shell Hinge blog so I’ll mostly be posting progress pictures, picking out modifications to technique as and when.
Be seeing you.
-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com