Its been a mixed experience, today. Some things went well and others went….......well not so well.
It looked incredibly complex to mark up all the little bits to be trimmed off
so I went an easier route. The external dimensions of the box (well the first three anyway) are 42mm, cubed.
With 3mm thick walls this means the inside width and length are 36mm. So I made up a former block 36mm square by a bit longer and placed it inside the box
This holds the box square, allowing (with a brand new 240 grit disc fitted) me to sand the sides flush on the disc sander, like so
At this scale 240grit is a bit like 60 – 120 grit on a larger piece of wood. Things happen quickly. Its a matter of gently sweeps at it. A steady hand and no room for doubt. All that bollocks. So within 5 minutes the box looked like this
I picked it apart again and put the first side in the vice for shaping
I do love the super-macro setting on my camera. I wish my eyes had it too. The rounding of the hinge fingers is a manual affair, with 240grit and a small piece of flat wood. I couldn’t trust my hand on the disc sander and I don’t know of any router bits (at normal prices and availability) that could put a 1.5mm rounding on a corner. Best efforts so far have produced this
I’m not convinced. I have to do my shaping in the real, big, world and when I take a close up picture it looks like that. Its a bit like trying to paint the Mona Lisa with a 4” paint brush on the end of a broom stick. When you take a break and go up to your work to take a look its not even human.
Disheartened I’ve taped it all back together, cut the width on the lid right and this is what it looks like
a small wooden shack that even the Quarks from the bad side of the tracks wouldn’t inhabit. Perhaps it will look better, tomorrow. Perhaps not.
Be seeing you.
-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com