This is the blog of how I built Celtic NOT. The design is one of a recent series of overlapping circle designs. Originally there were two possible patterns
These are the original paper models. As you can see the more complicated of the two had an interwoven line on the sides of the box as well.
I eventually decided this pattern looked a bit too busy and opted for the simpler of the two.
The box was going to be Oak with Sycamore and Walnut stringing. I initially tried making the stringing from 2mm strips of these two woods bent using a microwave steaming technique and the following jig.
Whilst the technique did work to some extent the resulting strips relaxed out of shape a little and the stringing would have had too much spring in it for the pattern to hold together for any appreciable length of time. So I fell back on the circle routing jig and made the pieces on that. I also changed to a Sapele and Yew backing at this point, with Sycamoe and Rosewood stringing. I cut the backing and stringing on this jig.
Gluing them together with finger clamps, using PVA. I made the pieces twice as wide as they eventually needed to be and re-sawn to get the required number of stringing parts.
The centre circle was going to be Yew, some of the following pictures show this, but in the final analysis I had undercut the diametre of the circle by just over a millimetre and fell back on a Sapele circle cut from the rescued centre of the initial board. The following are pics of how I managed to glue this monster together.
Initially presented with all these pieces I didn’t know where to start on this glue up. I thought on it over a beer and a sleep and decided to build parts up gradually in the following way, using Viscous CA (superglue).
Now the final pattern glue-up was done using PVA and masking tape onto a single layer of 1.5mm Birch Aeroply.
Be seeing you.
-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com