I left you with all the pattern pieces, their curved sides routed, and no idea of how I was going to square up the straight edges. Well I had a beer and a little think and came up with
At the bottom of the picture you see the pattern diagram again. In order to re-establish where the straight edges of the pattern should I first masking taped the pattern pieces together
then I took a pair of compasses and using the central point ‘0’ drew an arc ‘1’ out to the tip of the pattern. Moved the compasses point to the (middle of) where the arc cut the tip and drew arcs ‘2’. Moving the point back to zero I drew arcs ‘3’ to intersect. Using this intersection for the compasses point I drew arcs ‘4’. Then I joined up the intersection points so
I sanded off the excess, checking for squareness, on my disc sander. Giving this
Using the router template and some chipboard offcuts I made up some clamping jaws and glued and clamped all the pieces up.
The wadded paper towel was used to soak up any irregularities in the jaws.
When this was dry I had the half pattern so
I doubled sided taped the clamping jaws back on, for support (mainly of the pattern tips) and re-sawed the pattern into two on the table saw.
Removing the clamp pieces I then marked out the Padauk edge pieces to suit
I was going to rough cut them on the band saw and the true them up using the router template.
However I am happy to say my band-sawing accuracy has improved, through practice, to the extent where I used the cuts as they were for a first fix line up of the board so
I sanded the round edges on the Padauk smooth and took out any irregularities on the disk sander and glued the whole issue up.
There it sits waiting to dry. The next step is to trim and thickness sand the board but thats for next time. Work tomorrow so no beer today. Cup of tea instead. I think I’ve eared it.
Be seeing you.
-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com