Its been a little over a year since I made this Drum Sander. This update shows minor modifications and it’s present condition including any wear on the MDF table.
Here she is without the dust hood.
As you can see the promised paint job never happened. This Sander has been in more or less continuous use, on pretty much every project of mine, for the past year. There hasn’t been time to paint it (and let it dry).
As for wear on the MDF table, there is minimal surface scratching. I found Formica difficult to get hold of in small enough pieces, in the UK, and really couldn’t see the point of having it anyway.
The MDF surface is tough enough, if you don’t abuse it, and all it asks is a once a month clean up and coat of oil. Once the oil has hardened off there is no discernible transfer to work being sanded and the surface is slippery enough. With over a year’s constant use I would say its good for a few more yet. Here it is after a coat of oil
The softwood frame (with load bearing hardwood strips where necessary) of the Sander is still firm and true as well.
As for modifications, theres the dust hood.
I’ve added a perspex front so I can see whats going on in there. Also the dust extraction outlet has been upgraded to 2” from 32mm.
Then there are the castors. Front pair are stearable and lockable.
Rear pair are fixed direction.
These are invaluable for moving the sander in to and out of the main work area.
In summary its in constant use. I tend to favour the 2000rpm speed these days, but occaisionally use the 950rpm. Someday it will get a paint job, but I don’t know when. MDF works as a table surface, as has been shown here.
I also think that it is one of my most invaluable tools, these days, and I don’t know what I did without it.
Be seeing you.
-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com