|Workshop by Brit||posted 04-13-2014 07:10 PM||1802 reads||0 times favorited||72 comments|
click the marker to see the address
I figured it was time I had a place to work. I actually built this 3m x 3m building 8 years ago and we used it as an office for a while. During that time the spiders moved in, the moss took over the roof and the birds crapped all over it. So I took a couple of weeks off work to claim it back. Phase 1 was to renew the exterior which involved brushing, scraping, washing, sanding, filling, sanding, brushing, painting, painting and more painting. Glad that’s over. Phase 2 will be to clear it out and Phase 3 will be to lay on proper electricity, a new floor and insulate the walls and roof so it can be used all year round. It’s a start.
I’ll update with more photos as things progress.
Phase 2 is now complete. All cleared out. Just need to vacuum the cobwebs.
Even the old saw till is no more. LOL.
And so it begins…
The electrics are all done and the battening for the tongue and groove at the bottom on the walls is complete. I gave myself 21 sockets + 1 outside socket, which should be enough in a 3m x 3m space. Sockets are like clamps, you can never have too many. :o)
The bottom insulation is all fitted now ready for the tongue and groove work next weekend.
Tongue and Groove work to the bottom of the walls is now complete. All hand tools, which basically consisted of a little 20” Disston D8 panel saw, a hammer, a block plane, a couple of chisels and a square.
The following shot shows the little panel saw that did all this work. As I stood there sawing I couldn’t help but reflect on the fact that I was getting a good workout doing something I enjoyed. I also spared a thought for all those people who were stuck in traffic on their way to the gym to ride stationary bicycles. LOL.
I can’t decide whether to tackle the top part of the walls next or the ceiling. Guess we’ll all find out next weekend.
I haven’t had much time to progress the workshop lately due to the fact that I’ve been working six days a week for the last couple of weeks. However, I have managed to get the roof insulated and the first layer of insulation on the top half of the walls. Looks a bit space age at the moment.
The upper part of the walls are finally finished. I knew it would be a bit of a challenge to measure and cut the compound angles in the MDF around the corner roof trusses, so I started by making myself a template.
Even though each corner was inevitably slightly different, I was able to use the template to measure and allow for these differences. Glad to say I managed to cut around all the roof trusses with my little Disston panel saw without screwing up.
I made a shelf above the door which is where the stereo will be housed which is wired to a digital ariel on the outside of one of the back walls. I put three sockets on the shelf, one for the stereo, one to power the digital ariel and one spare for a small TV if I decide I want one at a later date.
Next I’ll board out the roof between the trusses.
And as if by magic, here it is done. 12mm MDF for the roof boards.
Only one day of shop time this weekend and this is what I made. Now I ask you, did you ever see such a ridiculous shape?
There’s a lot to be said for putting a flat roof on your workshop. LOL. Still it is up, I have light and that means longer days in the shop are now possible. Can’t knock that! Oh and if you can see any little gaps, well that’s what filler was made for.
The first of the internal window frames is done. I only had one day to work on the workshop this weekend and that was downgraded to half a day when the dishwasher decided to give up the ghost. I had to drag that out and dismantle it to see if it was worth getting it repaired or I need to spend £650 on a new one. Gonna see if it can be repaired I think. Anyhow, here is the first frame. The original frame which was just four separate pieces screwed to the outside window frame to hold it in. That can’t be used anymore because I’ve thickened the walls. I decided to join the four new pieces to make it a proper frame with handcut hardwood splines. Four sides and all of them different.
You might not be able to see it very clearly, but I ran two equi-spaced V-grooves around the front face for a bit of decoration. I managed to add this detail to all of the other boards as well, so at least I don’t have to do that next week.
The light was failing so the mess will have to wait until next week.
-- Andy -- Old Chinese proverb say: If you think something can't be done, don't interrupt man who is doing it.