So there I was killing some time on a wintery Sunday afternoon by surfing ebay when SWMBO said: ”Will you go to the supermarket to pick up a chicken and some fresh vegetables for dinner?” Reluctantly I agreed.
Now I don’t know about you, but I hate supermarkets. Personally, when it comes to food shopping, I’m a quick in and out kind of guy. I know what I want and where it is. I fill my basket double quick time and heaven help anyone who gets in my way. So after entering the shop, I quickened my pace and made straight for the chickens. Just then without so much as a hand signal, a little old lady turned her trolley right in my path causing me to take a sharp right up the cooking utensils aisle. Suddenly I slammed on the brakes. A rather fetching beech meat tenderizer had caught my eye. Like most woodworkers, I generally devote one brain cell to everyday activities whilst the bulk of my massive intellect is dreaming of tools and projects. I gazed at the meat tenderizer, caressed it in my hands and thought: PLANE ADJUSTING MALLET. Cost: £2.50. I can’t make it for that I thought, so in the basket it went.
On my way out I wizzed down the vegetable aisle, collected some broccoli and cauliflower and headed for home. When I got in, I put the vegetables in the fridge. Then I got back in my car and returned to the supermarket to get the freakin’ chicken. DOH!!!
The next day, I took a cheap Japanese saw and gently sawed next to the metal bit, ready to stop when I hit metal. It turned out that it was only held on by a central spigot and once I’d sawed all the way around the circumference, I easily levered it off with a screwdriver. So this is what I had to work with.
The hole was about 20mm deep.
As luck would have it, I had an off-cut of dowel that was just the right size to plug the hole. I squeezed some glue in there and since I was working in the kitchen, I used a piece of spaghetti to spread the glue up the walls.
I bashed in the dowel…
... and sawed it off just proud of the surface.
While the glue was still wet I rasped, filed and sanded it flat, filling any tiny holes with the saw dust. Then I rounded the end and gave it a coat of BLO.
Total project time: 15 minutes.
Of course I’ve still got the metal bit left over, but that’s sure to come in handy if I ever decide to make the dearly beloved a meat tenderizer. :-)
-- Andy -- I don't mind going to work. It's the 8 hour wait to go home that I don't much care for.