LumberJocks

Changing Table #2: Assembly Day

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Brian516 posted 01-22-2012 05:39 AM 1160 reads 1 time favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Christmas Break Progress Part 2 of Changing Table series no next part

At the end of my last post, I had one side of the changing table glued up, with lots of indivudual pieces waiting to be assembled. After putting the other side together to match the one from my previous post, I attached two legs (2 1/4×2 1/4) to each side. Then I assembled the back, both shelves, and sanded until my fingers were completely smooth!

I’ve never worked with cherry before, but after reading many posts and blogs here (thanks everyone!), I set the pieces outside for a few days to let the UV rays darken the wood a few shades. A little side note: I first spanned 2 2×4s across sawhorses and laid the assemblies on top of the 2×4s. After one day in the sun, I was surprised to find that the sides facing the ground darkened quite a bit, so much that I could distinctly see lines where the 2×4s were touching each assembly. After that I resorted to laying the assemblies on top of tables and propping them up against the house.

Once the assembled pieces has darkened enough for my taste, I started the process of assemblying the main unit. I started by attaching one side to each shelf by pocket hole screws (no glue + I drilled the pocket holes a little large to allow for wood expansion). After attaching the shelves to both sides in the same manner, I then glued and pocket-hole-screwed the shelves to the back. My thinking was that as the shelves expanded and contracted, the back edge would not move, and the space I left between the shelf and the front legs would take up any expansion.

The first picture shows the pocket holes attaching each shelf. You can also clearly see the shims I put in the grooves with each shelf, so that there’s no visible gap between the top of the shelf and the groove.

The rest of the pictures show the main unit from different angles. They also show the variety of clamps I need to use whenever I’m clamping up more than one thing at a time! The pieces I’m gluing on now will provide a surface flush with the front leg – the entire depth of the main unit – to make it easier to attach the drawer slide.

I plan on attaching the top surface tomorrow. After that all I have left is the dividers for the top to hold the changing table pad and accessories, and the drawer to hold… well… um… whatever baby stuff needs to be kept in a drawer.

Less than 6 weeks until the baby’s due! Hopefully the changing table is sitting in the baby’s room and the crib is well on it’s way to being finished by the time we come home with our little bundle of joy!

-- Brian



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase