LumberJocks

Changing Table #1: Christmas Break Progress

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Brian516 posted 939 days ago 1428 reads 2 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Changing Table series Part 2: Assembly Day »

This first project I’ll be blogging about on this site is a changing table I’m making in expectation of our first child due on March 1. The design is inspired from the crib in the Wood magazine a few years back. (Thanks to all you who posted pictures with your Wood magazine cribs!) Hopefully I’ll be able to also make the crib before the baby arrives. I bought enough cherry for both projects, as well as quite a bit extra for an end table and maybe a shelf unit for the babies room. Below is a model of the crib I made using SketchUp. I realize the model is inaccurate in a few spots, but after I had the design finalized on paper I didn’t feel like messing with SketchUp anymore.

Since this piece of furniture will be mission style, I bought myself the Beadlock Pro system from Rockler. So the first thing I did was play with how the jig works and also make 400 linear inches of 3/8” tenon stock.

I started by making the top surface first. I wanted to see how the Beadlock Pro worked for attaching butt joints and I have to say I’m quite impressed. The picture below shows the tenons immediatley after adding glue.

Next I needed to thickness plane the rest of the lumber I would need for the project. Maybe I should have attached my portable dust collection system at this point…

This picture shows a few of the horizontal braces that will support the shelves. I routed a groove in the top and bottom piece before attaching the 3 pieces together.

For the vertical slats I wanted to ensure that they were all exactly the same height and that the ends were perfecly perpendicular to the slat. I threw together a pretty crude cross-cut jig for the tablesaw, which worked pretty nicely to cut 5-6 of the slats at a time.

Next, I cut the holes for the tenons in the horizontal braces and glued up one of the sides. All the holes for the tenons are 1” long, except in the middle horizontal brace, where the tenon goes completely through the brace and extends 1 inch into each vertical slat.

I have the legs glued together (I made them 2 1/4×2 1/4) but not planed yet, so for the next post hopefully I’ll have both sides attached to 2 legs each and the back glued together as well.

-- Brian



1 comment so far

View therookie's profile

therookie

887 posts in 1431 days


#1 posted 939 days ago

It is coming along great cant wait for the next installment.

-- http://aewoodworks.webs.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase