LumberJocks

My Dust Collector Mod #1: Design and Adapting the Air Filter

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by BrettLuna posted 07-17-2018 11:02 PM 493 reads 1 time favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of My Dust Collector Mod series Part 2: Minor Update »

Since we’re replacing our well pump this week, I won’t be buying that spiffy new dust collector this fall that I’ve been eyeballing. Instead, I opted to modify my current DC, a very humble, very 1-horsepower-ish Shop Fox W1727. The plan is to replace the filter bag with a more efficient pleated canister filter, equip it with a Super Dust Deputy separator, incorporate my iVac remote switch, and build a new base to hold it all. Here’s what points A and B look like:

Over the last couple-three weeks, I purchased the 4-inch SDD kit and a Donaldson-equivalent P190818 air filter. I got started this past Sunday with the first phase: adapting the air filter.

The filter is open at both ends, so I made a cap of ¾-inch MDF. The filter is sized to fit nicely in the DC orifice pan but the seal doesn’t…seal. So I built an MDF ‘donut’ on which to mount the filter and equipped it with a bracket and threaded rod to retain the filter/cap. I adhered a ring of thick foam weatherstripping tape in the pan, pressed the donut onto it, and screwed it in place through the sidewalls.

And that’s where it stands right now. Next…and I’m not sure how soon I’ll get to it…I’ll start work on the base.

-- Brett — Peters Creek, Alaska



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com