Today I wandered out the the shop to continue work on this box. I sanded the whole thing to 320, using sandpaper glued to a jointed block to get the corneres and flat surfaces and so I wouldn’t round over my chamfer. I then cut recesses into the box body using a 1/2” chisel and the same sandpaper block. So far so good.
Then, thinking I was ready (have you caught the step I missed?), I mixed up some tinted shellac using a technique from The Wood Whisperer. I then applied this inside and out using a paper towel. While it was a bit rough to handle near the end, it went pretty well up until I knocked over my dixie cup of shellac and had to finish the piece by soaking the shellac up from my workbench top and applying it. I think it’s turned out pretty well, though.
And the top, which I used the same tinted shellac on since I figured the light tint wouldn’t really affect this darker walnut.
If you zoom in, you’ll see that not every key fit perfectly. Glue pushed a few a bit out and I caused some problems when chiseling out the key slots by rounding off some of the edges. I know there are things I could have done to fix them but I’m under time pressure and will simply call them all “signatures”. I think my wife won’t hold them against me.
Tomorrow I’ll sand the whole thing with 400 to pop the grain and then (oh, look what I forgot to do!) cut the corresponding hinge recesses in the top. Silly me. Then, flocking the interior and finishing the piece with several coats of seal-a-cell and/or wiping varnish. Then the trays, though they may have to wait until after Christmas.
-- Woodworking is easy as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510...