(This is actually part 5 but I messed up the way I added them so they got reversed….)
I ventured back into the shop today to continue prepping my box stock. I planed it down to roughly 1/2” and used my tablesaw to size all the pieces the same.
I then went to my router table and mitered the ends of the end pieces lying flat on the table. So far so good.
But when I went to route the front and back, I had signifigant breakage & tearout. Even slowing down the bit didn’t help, so I’m going to cut off the bad bits (I had actually somewhat anticipated this and chose to route the longer pieces against the fence so that if I had to lose a bit of length, it would be less noticeable along that dimension).
I’m now going to build a fence just for this purpose and make a special-purpose insert for this bit to ensure a closer fit so I don’t get any “dippage” of the piece as it traverses the bit. I think that’s been my major problem. A photo of the table setup as it sits today follows.
The worst case of tear-out:
I’ll re-trim the long sides and reattempt routing either later today or tomorrow. I might replace the long sides and just mill new ones after using these to verify that the new setup works.
-- Woodworking is easy as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510...