I wanted to make the lid a breadboard to keep it nice and flat. I started with two boards of eastern white pine boards which I glued together, then added a stub tenons on each side.
And here are the end pieces with the mortises already in place. I cut the mortises on my TS.
I planed the whole thing flat then squared it up. To square it up, I planed down the protruding breadboard end pieces, then ran the opposite side through the TS.
I drilled a 3/8” hole and inserted a couple of walnut dowels on each end. I’m not sure if this was necessary, but I do like the look of the pins.
Cleaned up the pins with the Stanley 60 1/2 low-angle block plane.
Here’s the unpainted lid attached to the top of the tool chest. The overhang is about an inch on the two sides, and I may plane down some of the width a little bit, but for now I’m leaving it the way it is.
You’ll also notice that I added some casters to the bottom of the tool chest to make it a bit easier to move around. The casters are actually from a tool cart that my dad built which he used for on-site work. I’m glad I found a good use for them, plus they add a little reminder of my dad in the project as well.
These spade-shaped handles I saw at Home Depot and thought they fit the style of what I was going for. I installed them at an angle because I was picking up this chest and moving it around so the handle placement was convenient, but now that the tool chest has casters, I don’t think I’ll be picking it up much. I may move the handles later.
Here’s the tool chest with the painted lid, casters, and handles. I’m pretty happy with it for being such a quick and dirty construction.
So for the next installment, I’ll be addressing the storage issues inside the tool chest. Thanks for looking.
-- "hold fast to that which is good"