So I’ve manage to build the carcass for the tool chest. Its footprint is about 33” wide by 15” deep. In terms of height, the front of the tool chest is about 23” tall and in the back it is about 31” tall. The size is a bit bigger, at least in terms of width, than the Schwarz design, but again I designed it based on the width of my ripsaw. Here are some photos of the progress so far.
Here’s the basic box without the shelves and bottom install:
The middle shelf, seen here, does not protrude all the way to the front of the cabinet. I designed it this way so that when I look into the bottom shelf the contents in the back would be a bit more visible from a higher angle.
And here it is with the bottom installed:
This is the glue-up of the front “door” piece (not sure what else to call this). The pieces are ship lapped.
I decided to paint the whole thing a dark green. Actually the name of the color is “evergreen bough.” I was debating between a green and a blue and ultimately liked this color best. Yes, I used latex and not milk paint, primarily because latex is inexpensive and easily available in whatever color I need.
I put these runners on the inside of the door in order to hold the door in place and to align it, although the locking strips (see below) must be in place to keep the door on.
The door stays in place with these brackets that hold piece of wood which can be slid in from the top. This keeps the whole door tight against the cabinet. The brackets are made out of jatoba so that they’ll be nice and strong.
This shows the locking mechanism for the door from the top of the tool chest. I used beech for the strips of wood that lock the door in place.
My largest saw, sitting inside the top section of the tool chest. I’m still running through a few different ideas of where to put the larger hand saws and how to do it, and so I’m still open to suggestions at this point.
Thanks for looking!
-- "hold fast to that which is good"