I decided to make a chamfer plane by adapting an old Stanley 220 plane.
Now before anyone gets on my case for ruining a perfectly good 220, I should note that it was a $2 garage sale purchase that was rusted beyond recognition. I soaked the plane parts in Evaporust, but as you can see in the following picture, there was still severe pitting in the sole.
The first thing I did was to drill six holes in the sole of the plane.
Then I made the wooden strips that would guide the plane to sit at a perfect 45 degree angle on corners. I basically just cut a piece of 3/4” maple on the table saw at a 45 degree angle. You’ll also notice that I notched out a small space on top to give room for the plane iron to project out of the plane.
Attached the wooden guides to the sole with screws.
Here’s the bottom of the plane.
Here’s a side view.
And here’s another action photo.
-- "hold fast to that which is good"