I have neglected this blog, but I still have tons of photos of this build, so I thought I should post them. Since we all like pictures more than text, I have a good photo-to-text ratio. :-)
Each of the legs is constructed by laminating two 8/4 pieces of beech together. I knew that chiseling out the mortises was going to take considerable work, so I decided to make four of the mortises by cutting dados in the the pre-laminated legs on the table saw. Here’s a photo of the dado/mortise.
Cleaning up the dados/mortises with a vintage Stanley 2” chisel
Now to glue the legs together.
I also made the tenons for the legs on the table saw. You’ll notice that one leg is bigger than the others. This is because I wanted the leg at the leg vise to be beefier.
Okay, completed legs, with all the mortises chiseled/sawn and the hole for the leg vise.
I chamfered the bottoms of the legs using the router and my moxon vise.
Now to make the stretchers. I also cut the tenons on the table saw.
Attaching the stretchers to the legs; you can see that I also used drawboring to hold them firm. I used dowels for the pins and just cut them to length and sharpened the front end with a utility knife
And here it is—- the legs and stretchers ready for the top. Wow, look at all the sawdust on the floor! Now all I need to do is attach the top.
FYI, You can see the completed bench here.
-- "hold fast to that which is good"