About 1 year ago, I’ve purchased a cheap benchtop table saw, in fact, it was the Jet JTS-10. For the small projects I’ve made 3-4 months after the purchase, it served me well. But when I wanted to cut some thick lumber with the stock blade, I immediatly heard the sound of an underpowered table saw motor.
I really wanted to cut thick lumber, so I could cut my own wood for a project. If I can’t cut my wood out of bigger and thicker boards, it means that I need to get them cut at my local wood supplier, which i really don’t like since I like to lay out every part of my project on the boards and take my time to do that.
That problem got fixed just by buying an ultra thin kerf blade from CMT which has a sawkerf of 1.7mm wide.
The next problem that I’ve experienced was the dust collection. The table saw has a DC port of 30mm in diameter. Everyone knows that that’s way too small. So I’ve made a table saw station with integrated dust collection that gives me a port of 120mm in diameter. This gives excelent suction and I will make an overarm blade guard in the near future that will suck up even more dust.
Sure there are some other problems with that saw, but I don’t want to waste your time by telling you all the defects of a benchtop table saw.
Except for this one: The fence. Everybody knows that the fence on a benchtop table saw is worthless. in fact, my table saw had the worst fence that I’ve ever seen.
I could go the easy way and buy an aftermarket fence, but those are all way too long (50” or 30”), way out of my budget at the moment and since I live in Belgium, I have no idea where to buy one.
So I decided to make my own. I did lots of research on the internet to get some idea’s. I’ve made up a list of the materials needed and went to my local steel supplier. I thought that I would need to pay more than 40 euro’s, but in fact, I only had to pay 16 euro’s. With my fence, I will have 20” to the right of the blade.
So let’s start!
Those are the profiles that I’ve bought.
First of all, I deburred every piece, so it feels smooth and I wouldn’t cut myself (which wouldn’t be the first time).
Then I’ve cut some wooden spacers to put between the front rail and the guide tube. I’ve used 19mm plywood as a spacer. You want this space to be pretty consistant so the guide tube will be parallell to the front of the table.
Next, I’ve marked the holes to be drilled, so my drill wouldn’t walk around.
Then I drilled the holes…
... that eventually get’s tapped for M10 bolts (M10 because i have tons of those).
All done, with the bolts inserted
...and with the front rail attached to the table saw (note the steel plates that I had to weld to the front rail, well that’s my fault because I’ve bought the L- profile too small).
well, that’s it for this part. So far, it has been very easy.