So, now it’s time to put some parts together. I started with the leg assembly’s first. I decided to use 3-#20 biscuits, glue and screws. I thought about pocket screws, but I think for the legs the biscuits, glue and screws will be the strongest. I referenced all my slot cuts from the fence..this is important..either use the fence or the base, but don’t use both or you may have some alignment problems, depending on how your biscuit joiner is set up…
Pretty straight forward. My assembly cube with its MDF top makes a perfect table for this operation. Also another key element is the vacuum attached to the machine….saves allot of time cleaning up, and the tool runs better without all those chips gumming it up. So once the biscuits and glue was applied, I clamped the pieces together to keep them aligned and square and drove in some 1 1/4” square drive screws. I use the self piloting and self countersinking type for cabinet assembly. One done, three to go!
Next it’s time to assemble the end frames. I took the MDF top off the cube and turned it on its second highest side. As you can see in the picture, another great thing about the cube is you can clamp right through it and to it..try that with a bench or a table!
So with a leg assembly clamped loosely in position to the cube I lined everything up for assembly. I used a scrap piece to set the stretcher position rather than measure..that way I get a perfect fit. Check for square, and shoot some 1 1/4” brads to keep everything in place.
Next, I drove some 1 1/4” screws through the stretcher into the leg..
Similar process for the bottom stretchers…I cut a block to the distance between the stretcher and the bottom of the leg and then squared it up and shot it with brads, then the screws.
Rinse, and repeat!
Next I laid an end assembly on the floor and attached the top and bottom long stretchers to the end assemblys….same drill…glue, brads and screws..
Then I placed the other end assembly on the stretchers, and marked where the glue was going. Pulled it off, applied the glue and placed it back on, shot it with brads and screwed it in…
And then there was a finished basic frame!
Next I wanted to install the support stretchers, I decided the easiest way to put these in was pocket screws, so I set up my new bench top master jig. I love this bench jig..it clamps the pieces in nicely, and the dust extraction works perfectly. Again, it saves so much time vacuuming chips up off the floor…and pocket screws make allot of chips!
For the long support pieces I used the pocket hole jig with its mobile base. Just clamp it to the piece with the face frame clamp…
A little glue and a few pocket screws…
Here I was using a trim piece to support the horizontal rails before I assembled everything..
Next the bottom support piece goes in the same way. Another cool assembly tool is this but joint clamp. One end fits in the pocket screw hole and the other side of the clamp has a pad. It holds the pieces together tightly , which is nice because the only thing I don’t like about pocket screws is they have a tendency to wander a little when your driving them in if things aren’t clamped down nice and tight..
The final basic frame, waiting for the sub top!