Hey everyone. Last year I became interested in restoring planes. I created one project blog where I was restoring an early Type 9. Then, while working with on a wood project, the Walnut got me real sick. It took almost one month to get better, then spring came, summer, BBQ’s, band practice, life…..
Here is it fall again and I’m back in the shop restoring my planes. I got two going right now. One is the old Type 9 and the other is a Type 19 that I picked up on eBay for something like $10 bucks? This was in really rough shape – but is surprisingly turning out to be one nice plane. It’s nearly done. I only need to spray the handle with lacquer and spray the frog. When done, I’ll post the results and details of the restoration. Here are the before pictures:
Here are the pictures of my finished plane. I think it came out great! What looked like a total rusted mess actually ended up looking very “factory-new”. The bed especially came out pretty flawless. Amazingly, there was zero pitting. When I sanded the black paint off, the wood was natural – and with some lacquer, it now sports that Lee Nielsen look. One other thing I did that I didn’t see mentioned, was to use a file to clean up the edges of the bed. Going slowly and using only push-cuts, I achieved a crisp and new looking edge with a slight rolled-curve. Very happy with the results.
Here are some pictures of the bed, right after the Evaporust bath. I used Evaporust (thanks Alonso) to remove the rust and electrolysis to loosen the jappaning. That worked real well but I’ll most likely use electrolysis for everything in the future since it’s free.
The iron, chip breaker and cap were in pretty bad shape so I replaced them with some donor parts.
-- - Brad