So I spent sometime on my workshop last night cutting the copper panel for the bed to size and laminating it together.
The copper was pretty banged up from being ripped off a roof, folded up and then transported 600 miles, so I had to spend a bit of time with a rubber mallet, deadbolt and hammer to flatten it out enough to use, but I am happy with the result. I found that starting in the center and working my way out in circles worked the best, however it curled the corners, so I would then have to flip it over and work the other side a bit to work the curl out. Once I got it flat I took a piece of 1/4 plywood cut to the size I needed and held it over the area I wanted to use. While holding the panel I scored a like with a utility knife and the cut on the scoremark with a pain of tin snips. Overall it was fairly easy. Once it was cut I gently sanded the edges being careful not to sand the patina off so they were not as sharp. A
Once the copper was flattened and cut to size I used contact cement to laminate it together, put it in between two pieces of plywood and put about 400lbs of weights (Helps to have your gym in your shop :)) on top of it.
Today I stopped at the shop and mounted the panel into the foot board panel which I had put an initial coat of finish on and here is the result. It is a little hard to tell from the photo, but the panel is framed by a 1.5 inch wide frame in-between it and the next panel. I tried to match the panel/rail grains the best I could.