A few weeks back, I did a horse project for a customer. She sent over a picture of a painting hanging on her wall and wanted a piece done of this painting. I absolutely loved the picture that she sent over and was extremely excited to start this project.
There is a few ways that I could have done this project for my customer 1) Making the pieces follow the musculature of the horse’s body or 2) Having the pieces follow the shading in the picture. I decided to do this piece with option two in having the pieces follow the shading. Both the customer and I were very pleased with how this turned out. The pictures just don’t do the finished product justice.
One of my other customers saw this finished project and wanted one of their own. Instead of doing exactly the same as the other one though, they instead wanted it done with the pieces following the musculature of the horses. I took the same image and created a new design. I was worried that the horses would blend into each other too much, so I decided to use two different colors of wood to help differentiate the horses from each other and their surroundings. I also did the horse’s mane differently in this project. The fished product of this new project turned out exactly as I had hoped. I was striving for a silhouette style look and I believe I achieved my goal.
I enjoy being able to take a photograph of something and doing so many different styles with it. I guess it is all in the way that I interpret a photograph and translate it into wood.
I hope that I get to do another piece such as this soon because I truly enjoyed the experience.
-- Chris Mobley - http://www.cmobleydesigns.com