LumberJocks

veneer on endtable (update from previous entry)

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by BobTheFish posted 07-11-2011 04:04 PM 1152 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Well, thanks everyone for the comments and input.

I went with #4 as everyone seemed to like, but ran into some issues. The pieces had a bit more chipping and cracking than expected, and once accounted for, the two pieces themselves didn’t have enough to cover the top. So I framed that out with a bit of curly maple.

I wasn’t in the best frame of mind that day, so I have to admit, I also had some glue issues, which resulted in bubbles. A comedy of errors ensued, as I tried to glue them back into place, to repair the damage, and then sanded. I put on a finish, only to notice the wood is distinctly redder than anticipated, and the finish brought out some of the areas I thought were sanded significantly enough, though apparently were not.

Then the seams started to appear in my veneer work (it happens, though this was one of the worst cases), and glue marks.

Right now, I feel like I let down a fair number of those of you that had high hopes for the project, but I’m not quite hopeless yet. I plan on resanding, scraping off my veneer, and starting over again. I’ll probably go with the sapelle because, unfortunately, those where the only two piece of that burl I had.

Easy come, easy go. I’ll find some more eventually. :)

Pics will follow when the project has been totally completed.. again.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase