LumberJocks

Table saw? #2: Almost finished cabinet saw.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Bluepine38 posted 09-02-2013 06:50 PM 1150 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Now what did I get? Part 2 of Table saw? series no next part

80 days ago I bought this 1949 Delta cabinet saw and proceeded to take it apart. I have been helping a
friend with his kitchen remodel-83 rail & stile quarter sawn white oak door and drawer panels, one 8’ & one
10’ corian countertops made from 3/4” slabs, so this has been a little slower than normal. Took the 85 lb
bullet type motor out and took it apart, ordered and installed new bearings. Turned the commutator on
my Delta Lathe using my Cross slide rest. K&N Electric Motors tagged the wires for the correct hookup for
110 & 220 volt and gave me a junction box that would fit on my motor for $40.00 since the motor came
with the wires hanging out with a 2 wire extension cord wire nutted to the wires. Here is the motor

with the junction box installed and a testing switch setup on it so I could time the motor before I installed
it again. The motor is a repulsion start, induction run motor that can be reversed by moving the brushes,
and it has to be adjusted, timed after it has been taken apart for optimal performance. The only junction
box I could get did not have a cover, so I had to make one.
After I installed the motor, I installed the top and added the cast iron wings, I knew those 1-2-3 blocks
were good for something except machine work.

clamping the wings this way and then tightening the bolts made sure that the wings and top were
properly aligned. A word of caution, if you overhaul a table saw, do not add the wings before you square
the top with the blade. I assumed-yes I know what that means-that the table had been squared with
the blade during its 60+ yr lifetime, I had to lift the whole top off and enlarge the mounting holes in
the base to line the top up with the saw blade. I had cleaned up the tilt and raising mechanism
when the top was off and coated all moving parts with a dry graphite lube, everything moves real smooth.
I also realized that Delta had never made the cabinet saws dust collector friendly, so I added two pieces
of masonite on each side tapering towards the bottom and cut a third one tapering towards the front
to help channel the dust.

Replaced the front access door with a piece of oak with an elbow installed and the dust collection is
improved.

This also shows the original Delta fence with the added strips of high density plastic. Delta suggested
using wood to improve the fence in the original owners manual, but I thought plastic was a better
idea. Also shown is the zeroclearance instert made from the same plastic, and the new 220volt
starter switch. The cabinet had never had a motor cover, so here is a side view.

with the addition of a motor cover using super magnets as a latch.

I did not like the looks of the bases available for table saws and I wanted easy mobility as well as looks
so I made this nice wooden rolling base and added two lifting bolts with large feet that stabilize and
level it easily.

I know that people prefer the Bies fence, but I keep seeing them thumping the fence to move it just
that smidgen, and remarking that it hurts their hand. I am going to keep this original fence with its
micro adjust knob. The original knob was lost, and I am still in the process of making a new one. I
have not got around to doing a nickel test on the saw, I have been too busy playing with it, but it
is smooth and way quieter than any saw I have owned. It is still a work in progress, but I just had
to show it off.

-- As ever, Gus-the 75 yr young apprentice carpenter



6 comments so far

View natenaaron's profile

natenaaron

369 posts in 450 days


#1 posted 09-02-2013 07:56 PM

Cool. Does the DC port cause issues while working? I have never seen one on the front.

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

4988 posts in 1495 days


#2 posted 09-02-2013 10:26 PM

I remember when you stated. Like your wing alignment technique. Keep an eye on ebay. Might get some extra parts.

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

10859 posts in 1343 days


#3 posted 09-03-2013 12:47 AM

That was a very ambitious project that turned out really well! Congrats.

You lost me with: “repulsion start, induction,.......” You are a smart guy!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

1137 posts in 622 days


#4 posted 09-03-2013 12:00 PM

That is one nice saw. Great job and really good read

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

2876 posts in 1738 days


#5 posted 09-03-2013 01:14 PM

Natenaaron, the dust port does not cause any more trouble from the front than from the rear since I have
to be able to move the saw around. The saw had that access door in the front, so it was easy to put it
there. If I was going to build a permanent shop, I would probable cut a hole in the back and run the dust
collection either through the floor or overhead, but it will be a while before I can build a permanent shop.

-- As ever, Gus-the 75 yr young apprentice carpenter

View NormG's profile (online now)

NormG

4174 posts in 1656 days


#6 posted 09-04-2013 01:12 AM

Great saw reman, it will be anoher 60 years before it is done again, great saw

-- Norman

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase