LumberJocks

Old Delta Jointer Rebuild

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Bluepine38 posted 10-10-2010 11:17 PM 5784 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I found this Delta Jointer at a garage sale for $50.00 complete with rust.

Jointer 1

I only had a serial no. 2-561 on it, no Model number, but it resembled the model 37-307 (old style) 6” jointer
without the stand. The plywood stand was in sad shape and the motor was enclosed by the plywood and was
so full of sawdust that no more would fit in. I replaced the electric motor and cutter head bearings and built
this dust chute and steel base, cutting the steel with a special steel cutting skil type saw.

Photobucket

The steel base was neeed because I used 2” thick pine beetle killed wood for the base and need to spread
the weight over the entire top. I added a belt guard and a shaft guard to the unused motor shaft end, since
I have the occasional grand kid and great-grandkid roaming through the shop.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The motor was not heavy enough to tension the new belt, so I added a spring belt tensioner and a switch
to replace the missing switch on the motor.

Photobucket

I finished the stand in BLO and sprayed some food safe silicon on the metal to protect it. I left the original
paint job on the jointer, since it resembles me, a little old ,well used and still good for some more woodworking.
The cost of this rebuild, including purchase, belt, new driven pulley, steel and bolts was about $100.00. I
spent about 30 hours playing with this project ( I would be lying if i called it work, it was too much fun) and
I now have a jointer that is much better than the shopsmith one that I will be selling on Ebay. I added the
wheels to move it around my crowded shop and two pieces of all thread with wing nuts as levelers for the
uneven floor.

As ever, Gus the 71 yr young laborer, trying to become a woodworker.

-- As ever, Gus-the 77 yr young apprentice carpenter



2 comments so far

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

1610 posts in 2927 days


#1 posted 10-10-2010 11:33 PM

Nice looking jointer. You might consider taking a looking at the cutter head bearings and possibly replacing them. After all the jointer is pre-1941. The serial number is they key to the age. Delta serial numbers begin in 1941 with 13-000 being the earliest known. I would also replace the motor bearings as well.

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

View HerbC's profile

HerbC

1592 posts in 2324 days


#2 posted 10-11-2010 08:30 PM

Gus,

Great rebuild.

Only one recommendation: Clean the silicon spray off immediately and thoroughly. Silicon can contaminate the wood surface and lead to finishing problems.

Enjoy your “new” tool and remember…

Be Careful!

Herb

-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!" http://lumberjocks.com/HerbC/blog/17090

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com