It seems the laws of nature apply to my workshop. I spent all of last time cleaning it up to make nice open space and what should happen? I got and fill it all up.
Acquiring more tools than space is a national pastime so I’m not sweating it, especially with the sweet deals I’ve been landing.
Turning circuitry into Power tools
I hoard computer parts, its ingrained into my geekdom. Never did I think it would ever help me in my quest for more bigger-badder powertools. Thanks to some wheelin’-dealin’ I struck a deal to build a fellow the best comp I could (minus hard drive) for some of his uncle’s old woodworking equipment which was gathering dust the wrong way. All that empty real estate in the middle of my shop is now temporary home to a router table, spindle sander, and ’53 DeWalt RAS in vintage green.
‘53 DeWalt Radial Arm Saw
Never to be one satisfied I also needed something to test out my new air compressor from my last entry, enter a like-new DeWalt 16 gauge brad nailer
And in this corner
Standing 6 foot 1 inch tall weighing in at 150 pounds with a girth of 42 inches we have … bowling alley lane!
Nothing like paying $1/BF for S4S Douglas Fir prefinished, so long as you don’t mind all the nails inside. 2 sawhorses and my outfeed is now the most manly table in the shop!
Do not adjust that tape measure, that’s just one hunka wood with lots of nice vertical grain
But wait, there’s more! I also landed a 5’ end sections made from Maple with the pin dowels.
Pic from craigslist ad
Pic of endgrain maple/douglas fir transition
Well Mr. Spend-a-lot, did you actually work on your shop?
I actually got some good shop time in through all of this. Most importantly I got my 8” Grizzly jointer fully modified and up and running. I caulked some 1/8” board over the open dust chute, replaced the 4” DC port with a 6” HVAC boot with slight modding, and ran the electrical to an outlet box with a hookup for my planer and placed a 24’ SOOW cord to give me plenty of slack.
Replaced 4” hookup with Register boot
New electrical hookup for planer/24’ power cord
More importantly I added some insulation to the two rooms I added on, hooked up the bags to my DC, and started my ducting. I picked up seven 10’ sections of 6” S&D this weekend and now had to decide how to cut the stuff. I’d read several suggestions on the web but the method I liked best (vise & sawzall) wouldn’t work since the mini-vises on my workbench are only 4”. Time for a solution!
Pickup bed, pallet, plywood, clamp, and sawzall, problem solved!
What I did was take a pallet and knockout a section big enough for the pipe to fit in. Then I clamped some plywood I had handy on both sides of the pipe, quick mark & cut with sawzall solved all my problems.
Pallet with PVC alley removed
I started running ductwork until I ran out of 45deg elbows (Lowes never stocks more than 2-4 at a time). This is ok since I am still working out some of the specifics for my duct layout. Somehow I managed to get the 8” DC inlet to 6” PVC through the wall transition.
Got this ran up to the main Wye which splits my shop in two (now I’m wondering if I could find a 8×6x6 Double Wye to minimize airflow lost)
Those rafters are causing me all sorts of problems with my ductwork design.
Nope, but next up are insulating the walls in the addition, more ductwork, and making the fench cleat system!