Well, I didn’t get to spend as much time over the 4 day Thanksgiving Holiday weekend as I wanted to working on this but I made some progress. I was actually hoping to have it done but not having the time and having to determine and make the template to do the cutout for the saw swivel clearance took a while. The cutout is not a continuous arc of the same radius because you need clearance for the guard here, the handle there and then the motor. And determining where to put the outlet was not a piece of cake either. When the hood is in place against the wall I can’t get behind there nor see back there very well let alone measure. The pipe it will connect to is only 2” above the top of the outlet so I didn’t have a lot of room to error that the hose could make up for. So I’ve got the outlet connection installed and I have the clearance for the saw cut in the top.
Oh, and, while I was working on the template for the swivel clearance I had the hood and chop saw in place on the bench so I hooked it up (that was not easy either) and did some test cuts. The distribution of the vacuum across the entire 27” was good. The sawdust was sucked up along the whole length and when I ran my hand along it to feel the suction if felt pretty even. When this is all done and permanently in place I’ll do a video of it for people to see its performance. It’s looking like the plenum chamber and the divider board idea paid off.
Here’s the outlet glued in place. The clamps are holding a board with masking tape on it under the outlet to hold it in place while the glue dries. The outlet is a 4” connector used to splice two sections of hose together that I had laying around. I cut it off 3/4” past the point where the hose slides onto. I used a 4-1/8” hole saw to cut the opening for it and glued it in place using plumbers PVC glue. I’ve used this glue in the past on other hoods and it bonds the plastic to the wood very well. Unfortunately my PVC glue was rather old I found out when I went to do this, it was kind of thick and the stores were closed so I used it. It did seem to bond well after letting it dry overnight but just to be sure once it dried I ran a bead of 5-minute epoxy around the top and bottom.
Here’s the template I made to do the cutout for the saw swivel clearance clamped in place. I roughed it out with a jig saw then used a top bearing flush trim bit on my laminate trim router to clean it up.
-- -Curt, Milwaukee, WI