LumberJocks

Sewing Table

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Blake updated 06-22-2008 09:00 AM 8 parts 29217 reads 162 comments total

Part 1: Sketchup Model

04-11-2008 02:28 AM by Blake | 19 comments »

Looks like I may be graduating to larger fine woodworking projects. My dad wants me to make a sewing table for my mom’s birthday in June. She likes my grandma’s sewing table because it is “just the right size” and doesn’t hurt her back when she sits at it. The old sewing machine table is very simple, made of fir or pine. It has an insert 3” deep for most machines to sit in, level with the table. Anyway, here is the sketchup I created based on the meas...

Read this entry »


Part 2: My First Fine Furnature!!! Getting Started... Milling the Lumber

06-10-2008 09:16 PM by Blake | 24 comments »

Well, I am finally graduating to furniture. I intend to blog the journey in this series to share what I learn in the transition from small boxes to full size furniture. I’ve done large projects before but furniture is sort of the ‘holy grail’ of woodworking, in my mind. It is what I would really like to do (if I could afford the lumber). By the way, my mom’s birthday is June 21st (we will see how close I get to the the deadline.) The Design: Here is the original...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Using the Mortising Machine (for the first time)

06-10-2008 10:10 PM by Blake | 12 comments »

I have had this little Delta Mortiser for about a year and have never used it. So I am exited to finally give it a workout. I learned a lot. Preparation: I put a lot of time into laying out the joinery. I’ve never done this before. Here are some of the sketches I made including a printout of my sketchup drawing and a birds-eye view sketch of the joinery. Vertical measurement sketch: When I had worked out the details I drew it out on a scrap cut from one of the legs: ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Mortise and Tenons for my Birthday

06-12-2008 12:50 PM by Blake | 16 comments »

Time for the Mortise and tenons. First of all, thanks to all who gave me advice about the mortising machine from the last blog. I did hone and tune the chisel and mortise machine and it did cut considerably better. I also turned the chisel so that the open side faces the previously bored section and didn’t have any trouble with chips getting stuck (thanks Betsy!) So I made the layout lines on my legs: And cut the mortises. Notice the stop block for repeatability: I w...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Tapers and Curves

06-13-2008 07:38 PM by Blake | 15 comments »

Yesterday I cut the curves in the apron and the tapers in the legs. I just bent a stick between two blocks for the long curve and marked it: I used a bowed stick with a string to mark the smaller arc: I made the cuts on the bandsaw and left a hair extra: Then the curves were trimmed right down to the line on the R.O. sander: In this photo you can barely see the lines I drew for the “recess” drop-down for the sewing machine. Well, this is h...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Stupid Stuff and Serendipitous Solutions

06-18-2008 02:41 AM by Blake | 22 comments »

When I left off I was ready to glue up the apron and legs. So in my excitement to see it take shape, I did a little last minute trimming of the tenons and one more dry fit, and then started assembling it with glue in sections. Here’s the front: And the back: Then I dry fit the two sections together with the side aprons for the final glue up: Which is when it occurred to me… was something missing? THE DRAWERS!!! I forgot to cut the drawers out of ...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Assembly at Last

06-21-2008 03:54 AM by Blake | 19 comments »

So I decided to make a bead around the drawers which would give me the room I needed to clean up both the drawers and openings. Thanks to bfd’s idea I decided to go for the template idea to fix the drawer openings. DRAWERS So I milled up some strips for the bead: Here’s how I made the template to fit the drawer with the bead… I drew the outline of the bead on a scrap of plywood: Then I cut some scraps to fit those lines and stapled them to the plyw...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Done, Done, and Done.

06-22-2008 09:00 AM by Blake | 35 comments »

This project is finished. Let me show you what I have been up to the last two days. MAKING THE DRAWERS I trued up some stock on the jointer and planer out of Birch for the drawers: And then made the half-blind dovetails on my Incra router table (first time I’ve done that… so sweet) Assembled the drawers: And glued them up: Then I routed a stopped groove on the drawer sides: This seemed to work just right for sanding the inside of the gr...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase